I'm not an Ontario resident, and actually only visited Toronto once over 20 years ago. And I never even heard of Markham before seeing this program. However, using screenshots from the show and Google maps streetview, I can identify the following locations with reasonable certainty. The numerical addresses are approximate, and subject to the limitations of Google maps. It is challenging and fun finding these places. Everyone please correct where necessary, and/or add more locations that you know about.
1.Police Station:King Street East and Virgin Place, Toronto
2.Beth’s Condominium:Approximate address 35 Mariner Terrace, Toronto
3.Felix’s Loft: Approximate address 483 Queen Street West, Toronto
4.Alley behind Felix’s loft: McDougall Lane, Toronto (between Queen St W and Richmond St W)
5.Site of Katja’s death:Unwin Avenue, Toronto, near North Shore Park and Hearn Generation Plant.Sarah’s frantic phone call with Cosima also occurs on the side of Unwin Avenue near the Power Plant.
6.Mrs. S’house:Approximate Address 148 Morse St. Toronto.
7.Kira’s school: Morse Street Public School, across from Mrs. S’ house.
8.Alison’s house:Approximate address 35 Harper Hill Road, Markham, Ontario
The outside scenes are shot here.The indoor scenes, at least in the basement and back yard are most likely shot in a fabricated studio, as the structure of the real Harper Hill home does not seem consistent with a basement that opens up to ground level in the back yard.Also, the lattice structure of the wooden fence is clearly different in the Google street view images and in the television scenes.The scenes inside the house on the main floor could be the actual house, but are more likely in studio, with external views through open doors and windows added via projection screens or digital images from the real location.
9.Soccer Field where Sarah first confronts Alison:Angus Glen Community Center, 4075 Regional Road 25, Markham, Ontario.Note: satellite image in Google Maps is outdated and does not show the large gymnasium or rink structure near the soccer field. However, in street view at this address, you can see the large building.
10.The skating rink scenes with Alison, Aynsley and Chad, and the parking lot scene with Alison and Chad are also likely at the Angus Glen Center.
11.Helena’s first abode is approximately 43 Howard St, Toronto.The Ukrainian Landlady lives at/near 4 Glen Road, around the corner.Sarah chases the assassin (who turns out to be Helena) from the run-down Howard St apartment across Glen Road, through the dilapidated row houses across from the landlady’s place, into a vacant lot west on Redrock Lane.
12.Helena’s second hideout looks like an old church, but is actually a building on the University of Toronto campus, Knox College, 59 Saint George Street, Toronto.
13.Cosima’s house, which is supposed to be in Minneapolis, is the Annex Style house on the corner of St. Joseph Street and Elmsley Place, also on the U. Toronto Campus.
14.The “Scary Angel” house, where Helena performs “self surgery” is near 28 Bright Street, Toronto.
15.Maggie Chen’s apartment is in the Waverley Hotel, shown as being on Kensington St in the story, but is actually 484 Spadina Avenue, Toronto.
16.The scene where Helena stumbles into a dark alley and collapses is Douglas Campbell Lane, behind the Waverley Hotel.Behind the van waiting for Helena is the computer repair store near 292 College Street, Toronto.
17.The Carlsborough Hotel where Sarah impersonates Katja is the Thompson Hotel, at 550 Wellington Street, Toronto.
18.Fung’s Restaurant, where Sarah/Beth meets Art to go over the Maggie Chen case file is the Thompson Diner,on the corner of Wellington and Bathurst Streets.
19.Delphine meets Dr. Leekie in a limo outside the Michener Institute, on the corner of Elm and McCaul streets, Toronto (this is supposed to be in Minneapolis).
20.Paul’s meeting on the street with Olivier is near 235 The Esplanade, Toronto.
21.Sarah and Helena have lunch at Jim’s Restaurant, 897 Queen Street East, Toronto.
22.The outside shots of the hospital where Olivier meets his end near 197 Elizabeth Street, Toronto.
23.The alley where Helena takes Kira before Kira is hit by a car is near 934 Queen Street East.Sarah is standing outside the Mercury Espresso Bar across the street when the accident happens.
Thanks. Just watched the tenth episode. I feel a mix of exhilaration and exhaustion, and am dreading the long wait for season two. No other TV series or movie has ever sucked me in to its fictional universe (and I'm in my 50's!). Finding the filming locations and seeing them in "real life" is therapeutic... reminds me that it's just a durned TV show. I also get to appreciate deeply the artistic excellence of those who select these locations. Dang what a great ride.
More filming locations identified using Google street view:
1. Leekie meets Cosima at the Toronto Coach Terminal, ca. 130 Elizabeth St.
2. The freeway scene where Cosima is in Leekie's limo is on the Gardiner Expressway heading east near Bay St.
3. In episode 9 where we see the mystery woman from behind (later revealed as Rachel Duncan aka Proclone), she is almost certainly inside the Bay Adelaide Centre building facing east, about one block west of Yonge St. To her left is a mid rise building at 137 Yonge St that houses the Goodlife Fitness center, and to her right is the funky Lumsden building at 113 Yonge St.
4. From episode 2 where Sarah seeks out Alison for the first time, there is a sign welcoming prospective residents to the "Bailey Downs" community. This is on the corner of Major MacKenzie Dr and Donald Cousens Parkway in Markham, ON (nowhere near Scarborough). The Google streetview images were taken in 2011, and the McMansions in the background (fully complete in the ep 2 scene) were barely under construction.
I freaked out when I saw the scene that took place at Angus Glen because I recognized it right off the bat and it was cool to see them in a place that I had been so many times. I could tell the Alison's neighbourhood was in Markham but I couldn't think of the actual community it was in until I saw them at Angus Glen.
I don't think you wrote about Alison's house, but I used to live in that neighbourhood (and went trick or treating at that house), and went inside the community. LOL Found the house, the garage and everything.
Funny how I even saw them actually film at Knox College and I can't believe it was Orphan Black a few months later. :D Just noting, it's St. George (not to be confused with Saint George if there is another street like that)
And those interested... Knox College is normally under construction... and the place for that basement... well the entrace, looks like a garbage dump. LOL
A trailer just came out today showing Sarah running down a dark street. For a brief moment you see an address on a glass door, 1588-90. I'm pretty sure this is 1588 Danforth Ave, currently showing on Google street view as the CIBC Banking Center (street view from 2011). She then passes an optometrist's office, with a couple of potted plants outside. A few seconds later she's inside a diner... anyone recognize it?
1.Opening Scenes at Bus Terminal Diner noted in previous post.
2.Alison meets Ramon at Bruno’s Valu-Mart, 83 Underhill Dr., North York, ON.Google 67 Underhill Dr. for best view.
3.Alison’s community theater group rehearses at the Jubilee United Church, 40 Underhill Dr., Toronto.Google 45 Underhill Dr. for best view.
4.The Dyad Institute external shots use the Bridgepoint Health Hospital, 14 Matthews Rd., Toronto.Google streetview is vintage 2009, and doesn’t show the new multi-story building adjoining an old structure.See the following link for more recent photo:
Delphine enters the institute ascending stairs on the north side of the new building.The scenes of the big Dyad event appear to have been filmed on the Garden on the Roof of the new Bridgepoint building.See:
1. 1. The collision between Daniel Rosen’s car and Cal’s truck occurs at the western intersection of 8 Line Rd and Side Rd 27 in Halton Hills, ON.
2. 2. The New Path Wellness Center is at 175 Brentcliffe Rd, Toronto.Google streetview takes you to the back of the building which was once an actual drug rehabilitation center (the Donwood Institute).The facility is now on the market, and photos of both the exterior and interior can be found here:
2.After Paul assaults Felix, Sarah makes a call to Art while walking westward near 523 Queen St. West.
3.The external shots of Maggie’s storage locker are on the back lot of Revival Film Studios.Google 610 Eastern Avenue, Toronto, and you can catch a glimpse of what is depicted as a dark alley in the episode.As Art drives his Subaru into the alley, you can see a pair of red flashing lights in the distance.These are the beacon lights on the Portlands power generation plant on the Toronto waterfront.
4. 4. Art and Sarah come upon Helena’s motorcycle in the middle of the street at ca. 6 Victoria Street between King St E and Colborne St.Episode scenes and Google street images (the latter dated May 2013) show construction scaffolding on the King Edward Hotel.
5. 5. Sarah meets Leekie at Booby’s Bar(actual location 408 Queen St. West) to make a deal, but she parks Mrs. S’ truck outside of Warren Cycle Works, 890 Queen St. East.
Episode 2.06To Hound Nature in Her Wanderings
1. 1. After the opening credits, Sarah and Helena drive under power lines at approximately 20 Beare Road, between cross-streets Passmore Ave. and Plug Hat Rd., Toronto.
2. 2. The Cold River Institute archival files are stored at the Streetsville United Church, 274 Queen St. South, Mississauga.The sanctuary where Sarah talks to the archives keeper is the actual church.See:
3. 3. The external shots of the Round Up Bar and Grill where Helena meets Jesse and then wreaks havoc is theFranklin House Bar and Grill, 263 Queen St. S, Mississauga.Not sure where the bar interior scenes were filmed.
4. 4. Many of the interior scenes at the New Path Wellness Centre are at the actual Donwood Institute location, including the basketball court scene with Alison and Vic.See the links in the 2.04 entry above.
5.Ethan Duncan lives a hoarder’s life at 13 Minto St., Toronto.Google 36 Minto for a better landing in streetview.In daylight the house has red siding and red and white striped window awnings.OB location scouts saved production a ton of time and money with this read-made, already trashed place.
Jumping ahead, in answer to a question in the comments section of the Reel Toronto Orphan Black entry on 8/20/14, Marion Bowles' mansion location can be seen in street view by googling 36 High Point Rd, Toronto.